HISTORY.



THE MINERVA



Built by Charles Bailey Jnr & Sons in Auckland for the Clevedon Steam Navigation Co. Ltd, T.S.S. THE MINERVA was launched on 10/12/1910. For ten years she was certificated to carry 117 passengers & 3 crew within Auckland Extended River Limits & 176 passengers & 3 crew within Auckland River Limits. Her regular run was Auckland - Howick - Whitford.

In 1922 THE MINERVA was sold to Charles Staniland West who owned a timber mill in Helensville on the Kaipara Harbour. Her primary task was towing rafts of logs (kauri, kahikatea and pinus insignis trees) from the banks of Kaipara's rivers and tributaries to the mill.

THE MINERVA was re-certificated in 1930 to operate as a passenger vessel carrying 57 passengers and 4 crew within Kaipara River Limits when not towing and often transported passengers to the annual Pahi Regatta. Five years later she was certificated to carry 4 crew within Kaipara River Limits towing only.

THE MINERVA´s final commercial survey expired in 1945, when she was sold to Lewis McLeod of Helensville who laid her up whilst converting her from steam to diesel and conversion to a motor sailer. The cabin was removed and when restoration was completed,she was reclassified from a cargo vessel to a pleasure launch. For over ten years THE MINERVA, still based at Helensville, regularly cruised the Kaipara Harbour and attended the Pahi Regatta as before.

In 1962 THE MINERVA was sold & returned to the Waitemata Harbour where she was engaged in fishing and cray fishing in the Chatham Islands. By 1980 THE MINERVA was a liveaboard vessel in Whangarei. She was reportedly seen below Waipuna Bridge, on the hard at Albany, and alongside at Spam Farm in Auckland as well as Great Barrier and the Bay of Islands.

By 2008 although still afloat in the Tamaki River, THE MINERVA was deemed a decaying hulk worthy of saving. In September 2008 the Kerikeri Steam Trust was formed with the noble aim to restore her to her 1910 status as a Twin Screw Steam ship.

After the completion of all necessary documentation and payment of $1, THE MINERVA was released from a Panmure jetty, to commence her long journey under tow to Kerikeri Inlet in the Bay of Islands. Over the following four months, THE MINERVA was stripped: engine removed, cabin cut off, and all rubbish cleared off the vessel.

In February 2009 the Kerikeri Steam Trust Deed was registered with the Charities Services.

A month later, she was towed from Blacksmith Bay to Opua, put on the travel lift, water blasted and transported back to Kerikeri, where her major restoration began.

Nine years later, THE MINERVA was relocated to Opua Commercial Estate, where restoration is ongoing with plans to eventually operate her as a commercial passenger vessel.


Compiled by Carol Forsyth, 2025.

WE ARE CURRENTLY BUILDING OUR TEAM!

If you are a self starter and would like to work with a creative team and have fun¸ then call us today!.

Copyright ©     www.tssminerva.com    All rights reserved.
Designed by R. J. Productions.
TM